"Oh, let the rain fall down and wash this world away..."
"It begins to rain. The first harsh, sparse, swift drops rush through the leaves and across the ground in a long sigh, as though of relief from intolerable suspense. They are big as buckshot, warm as though fired from a gun; they sweep across the lantern in a vicious hissing."-William Faulkner, "As I Lay Dying" (Chatto and Windus, 1970), p72
This quote is exceptionally expressive and reeks of the essence of life.
I think that after a prolonged spell of being sick it really takes a lot of motivation to be as pro-active as one once was. Today I woke just after ten o'clock and drank some fresh coffee, had a cigarette and then watched a film with my friend & flatmate, all the while occasionally reading this wonderful novel by Faulkner.
The rain started almost an hour ago and my intention to clean the flat to the most minute detail has dissolved with the rainfall. Now I am sitting on a pile of blankets and pillows with stacks of literature and unattended notebooks and journals around me wondering just how to gather myself up and roll myself towards a satisfying conclusion to the day.
I love reading Faulkner and there is a wonderful description of his style on the reverse of a collected works I own:
"If you imagine Hucklberry Finn living in the House of Usher and telling stories while the walls crumble about him, that will give you the double quality of Faulkner's work at its best."
- Malcolm Cowley
This may be the most personal update I have made on this journal so far; I believe it is because I've recognised something, that perhaps a man only loses his life without expressing his thinking. Maybe in writing a man does not die, but rather offers himself into eternity, and the universe around him. It's not that I am phased or put out by death; I just think it can be overcome.
I am listening to The Freewheelin' by Bob Dylan. This has to be the record closest to my heart; even the frontispiece has a warm, free-spirited manner about it. With close reference to Woodie Guthrie and a strange mixture of blues and folk music, and Dylan's own sentimental view of humanity... it's just the epitomy of a rainy day afternoon album. It recalls to me a moment several months ago last year when I was down in Dorset, England at the End of the Road festival... It reminds me of soft, sweet memories.
That was a time in my life I would rather prolong, would like to never forget. I am so content with the stuttering and unpredictable nature of life. The frustrations and regrets dissolve if you let them, and the bliss and the sweetness remain; saccharine, but not too saccharine.
This quote is exceptionally expressive and reeks of the essence of life.
I think that after a prolonged spell of being sick it really takes a lot of motivation to be as pro-active as one once was. Today I woke just after ten o'clock and drank some fresh coffee, had a cigarette and then watched a film with my friend & flatmate, all the while occasionally reading this wonderful novel by Faulkner.
The rain started almost an hour ago and my intention to clean the flat to the most minute detail has dissolved with the rainfall. Now I am sitting on a pile of blankets and pillows with stacks of literature and unattended notebooks and journals around me wondering just how to gather myself up and roll myself towards a satisfying conclusion to the day.
I love reading Faulkner and there is a wonderful description of his style on the reverse of a collected works I own:
"If you imagine Hucklberry Finn living in the House of Usher and telling stories while the walls crumble about him, that will give you the double quality of Faulkner's work at its best."
- Malcolm Cowley
This may be the most personal update I have made on this journal so far; I believe it is because I've recognised something, that perhaps a man only loses his life without expressing his thinking. Maybe in writing a man does not die, but rather offers himself into eternity, and the universe around him. It's not that I am phased or put out by death; I just think it can be overcome.
I am listening to The Freewheelin' by Bob Dylan. This has to be the record closest to my heart; even the frontispiece has a warm, free-spirited manner about it. With close reference to Woodie Guthrie and a strange mixture of blues and folk music, and Dylan's own sentimental view of humanity... it's just the epitomy of a rainy day afternoon album. It recalls to me a moment several months ago last year when I was down in Dorset, England at the End of the Road festival... It reminds me of soft, sweet memories.
That was a time in my life I would rather prolong, would like to never forget. I am so content with the stuttering and unpredictable nature of life. The frustrations and regrets dissolve if you let them, and the bliss and the sweetness remain; saccharine, but not too saccharine.
Comments
Post a Comment