Language...


"Heima" by Sigur Ros

This song reminds me of the time that began writing with vague purpose; their music is reminiscent of the whisper of an ocean at night-time, the gentle rustle that you hear amidst a walk in the forest. I recall the first few times I had occasion to write; it was after waking from a dream in which there was music playing I had never heard before, music which played as I wandered through an empty space in monochrome with slight green hues entering and then diminishing. It was a place like no other, with streets overgrown with moss and the feeling that people had been there but were now gone. Light string arrangements gave harmony to the lament of a guitar being played as though from a distance. 

It is from this strange and melancholy dream that I awoke and wanted to write but didn't have the language. Like the dream that inspired it, the language was there but barely recognizable; it was a light that inspired me but could not serve for anything but illumination. So the vague ideas came: The Forest, Sleeping in the Greenery, Stirring Amongst the Leaves... Falling From the Sky. I am still not sure that I have the language to express what I mean, but it barely matters. Maybe that's the answer after all: continue along the path and see where it takes you; I don't believe that it is the end that matters but the journey itself. That's what the song above reminds me of.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Delirium and Drift

Memory

"Are All Humans Hedonists?"