Let's do the broken fist...
This is the first entry in a significant spell. How can I explain? It is neither here nor there so long as I am writing I suppose. I fully intend to change as much as possible in my lifetime and by that I do not mean grand scientific endeavour, philosophical clarity, towering and glorious post-modern landscapes. No, I mean none of these things, none at all. I intend to grasp ahold of the world as it presents itself to me and shake it from top to bottom, so that it does not mumble so quietly its grievances. I wish to quietly but not submissively declare a love of life and a passion to share it. Life means nothing if we cannot hold onto it together.
All these leaves that pile up over the centuries, with words written at once clarified and at the same time lost on the audience. Those towering cathedrals and city vistas that once marked progress mark stagnation and conceitedness. As the species juxtaposes its own endeavours with the incomparable grandeur of nature it is struck by its feeble-mindedness, and inability to communicate with his neighbours and his climate. The ridicule we must suffer in the form of famine and drought, and utter poverty because of skewed visions of mankind are staggering. The light of the universe cascades at night-time upon our not-so-humble planet and the mockery and tragedy ensues of a species unable to see past its own self.
We have not managed to render an understanding of inter-species dependence and unconditional love of one another and the harmony and chaos of the universe serves to reflect at once our beauty and our discontent. Compared to the universe this world of ours could be a harmonious whole, subdued and held hostage by the enormity of what lies around us. The inner space of ourselves could be explored if we just took a moment to let go of everything we have. We should have done so after the attempted extermination of the Jewish race, after the charred bodies laid wasted in Hiroshima and Nagasaki, after the brutal Gulag archipelago of the Russian people. Instead we brutalise ourselves with our subjugation to a law which is not universal and applied only, as Herzen tells us, to our petty household rules.
I can't adequately explain it, but I am spiritual enough to proclaim this now: we cannot work within this well-worn and a hundred times proved wrong institution for much longer. We must dismantle it, or it will dismantle itself.
Comments
Post a Comment