"What you don't have now will come back again; you've got heart, and you're going your own way..."

The winter blues are freezing up my thoughts but perhaps the derailing of one line of thinking is a subconscious effort to renew something of late neglected. The above quote was taken from Noah and the Whale's new album. It's appropriate for me right now because last winter's refrain was "in only a year it's going to be better". Perhaps the universe is keyed in to the way I'm feeling. Or perhaps a lot of folks are feeling the way I do. I like to think of it that way.

I did what I set out to do this season and I read as much as I could about revolutions, political and economic struggle in the nineteenth century and I feel pleased with myself for it. I put aside all my pleasure reading though. It was painful to do and there are more than ten volumes stacked away, half-read and I am so eager to continue with them. It's a good thing that it'll be eight more months until my final year of university; I can just earn some money and read like I used to. I have become so fond of literature; it seems to be this whole other universe that I have discovered. I felt the same way about music five years ago.

I live within a world of considerately colored emotions and sentiments, a tapestry of rich and wonderful melodies and outlooks. Folk music carries me through this life and offers dimensions I hadn't known until not so long ago. It's a wonderful understanding I have, that without a lot of money life can be so sweet and such an acute pleasure.

Life moves slowly and judgment becomes clearer. Memories take on new significance and insight improves. Cultivate an interest in life and it grows slowly but magnificently, and a plethora of new perspectives enter your own life. It has taken me an eternally long time, or so it would seem from the way I feel, to appreciate just what it is we have; we have moments of time to breathe within.

Time, that inexplicable and intangible momentum that carries as forward. What is it exactly? That is none of my concern; my concern is that it is there and that within it, and with the space that surrounds us, we can admonish the sins that have gone before us. We can account for them and make them but a memory.

Oh, the new year is such a good time to get yourself together. You have to make sure that the first moment that the new year arrives you catch yourself and you take yourself where is that you want to be. There will be a lot of records that I want to write about next year so I will certainly be writing on-line more frequently. I look forward to the Spring, and the wonderful change of the season that make this earth particularly special.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Delirium and Drift

Memory

"Are All Humans Hedonists?"