Eating habits...

"A man can live and be healthy without killing animals for food; therefore, if he eats meat, he participates in taking animal life merely for the sake of his appetite."- Leo Tolstoy

I wonder why I always revert back to eating meat when I know that it makes me feel worse about myself. Frugal living and a strong sense of self-discipline bears manifold fruits and I always forget it. For instance, this afternoon I had an incredible lunch which was close to vegan. It was composed of aubergine, carrots, red onion, mushrooms and flavoured with black pepper and cumin seeds. Simple, yet rewarding. Are humans really supposed to eat meat nowadays? Can't we give it a rest? It is, after all, the easiest option, and if we all look back when we're sick and dying and reflect upon all those cop-out decisions we made- well, what would be the point?

Maybe what we refer to as livestock might be capable of having a society like ours one day. Sacrificing living, breathing mammals for meat seems stupid in these latter days. I feel a little foolish for buying into it half the time.

On another note I am moving for Autumn and Winter, out to the countryside to work, read and write. I will also take the opportunity to cultivate vegetarian habits and an earthier existence again. I didn't go to work to-day because I was so frustrated with it. I guess I could have taken a more sensible route and pretended to be sick but I didn't have the nerve. Also, it's nearly impossible for me to lie these days.

So, moving to the countryside to write. It seems ideal right about now, especially after a year of philosophical overload. I've never quiestioned everything as much as I have these past few months and I've never realised the actual situation the world is in until lately. It has to be admitted that living in a country like this has an equal degree of fault as it does benefit. A man can see error and foolishness as he unfolds the edges of his history but he can also see the possibility of a future if he stakes himself for the purpose and requests that his friends and neighbours to do likewise.

My notion of God has been rolled into my understanding of the universe. I do not accept that man is a chosen race, and I do not believe that the world should be central to his purposes. I do wholeheartedly believe that men can be like gardeners and can possibly cultivate this place and make it better. Is humility not to be able to accept that mistakes have been made and to seek to rectify them? Is it our purpose to be right or is it our purpose to accept a middle ground and work on making this planet more inhabitable?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Delirium and Drift

Memory

"Are All Humans Hedonists?"